kastiel gbelany

VILLA BELENE – the first mention of the serf village of Gbeľany, which was part of the Strečno estate, dates back to 1434. After the donation of the village by the Hungarian ruler, Sigismund of Luxemburg, to the Dersffy family, Gbeľany had several owners. The first written record of the existence of the Baroque château dates from 1756, when a conflict concerning the ownership of half a manor-house in Gbeľany was being resolved. In 1771, the first known inventory of the value of the furniture in the Gbeľany château was carried out. It includes a mention of the chapel, which used to stand near the entrance gate on the ground floor of the château, according to local memorials. It was nicknamed “red” after its rugs from Hološer. It only began to be used for ecumenical purposes in 1818, when it was consecrated. The Szerényi family owned the Gbeľany estate until 1812. The new owners, the Nyári family from the village Sučany, immediately began to renovate the château and probably the park, too. In 1863, the Nyári family was replaced by Ján and Ferdinand Zichy, followed by The Count Juraj Majláth of Zavar in 1883, who got married to The Countess Šarlota Zichy. In 1925, their son, Ferdinand Majláth, married The Countess Huberta Széchenyi and immediately began renovating the buildings and putting the whole estate in order. After he underwent the appendix surgical intervention in Vienna, he was getting ready to travel back home on February 22nd 1929. But suddenly he died of a heart attack, aged 38. The last lord of the Gbeľany estate, Dr. Ferdinand Majláth, has a tomb in the idyllic surroundings of the Dielec woods. He left two daughters, Ferdinanda and Šarlota. The young (perhaps 22-year-old) widow later married The Count Révay of Štiavnička. At the beginning of the Second World War, the family moved to Bratislava, then, after the liberation, they moved to Hungary, and further on to Sweden. The Majláth family remained the lords of the Gbeľany estate until 1945 when their property was nationalised. After 1945 the Czechoslovak National Committee and later the Primary School of Gbeľany resided in the building of château. This was changed in 1696, when the administration of the Protected Landscape Area of Malá Fatra had moved there from its previous residence in Budatín. In 1988, the Protected Landscape Area Malá Fatra has turned its category into the National Park Malá Fatra, which resided in the Château buildings until 1996. After the property restitutions in 1996 the château was returned back to the heirs of the young former owners and they later sold it to a private company. Until 2011 the building was closed down and left to decay. The situation changed after the new owners emerged. Today’s owners referred the reconstruction project to approval process in 2012 for the purpose to receive the financial contribution from EU funds. The complete restoration of the Majláth château in Gbeľany started to write in March 2014 and lasted 20 months. The historic hotel Château Gbeľany**** started to write its own history in February 2016. The guests can find there an accommodation in a luxury furnished historic or modern rooms, the restaurant BELENE with international and Slovak cuisine, wine cellar, wellness centre, professionally equipped fitness centre, two bowling lanes, pleasing lobby bar and several rooms for organising a business or family events and weddings, including the conference hall with a capacity up to 200 people.

 

Park

kastiel gbelany parkThe residence of the counts of Gbeľany was the Baroque château lying in the centre of a park, which was probably founded in the middle of the 19th century during the ownership by Nyári family. On a map since years 1823 – 1825, a park surface can be seen beside the château. The farm part included an orchard and vegetable garden, and Classicist farm buildings. The first known cadastral map of the village of Gbeľany, dating from 1864, shows a regularly shaped park with four large areas of shrubbery, or rather flowers. The whole area was divided into squares, probably by means of paths, and avenues of poplars were planted around the park. On this map, the château was linked to the farm building, creating an enclosed courtyard. There was also a bee house by the château, much appreciated by the estate. According to records of fruits and vegetables cultivated in the estate’s gardens dating from 1807, it is clear that the managers and vassals worked hard in the gardens and that fruit and vegetable growing was of great importance for the estate’s self-sufficiency. A map from 1905 shows a more elaborate park composition and the separation of the château from the farm buildings. It is clear that the area of park to the left of the main façade has been given more attention, probably for financial reasons. To the right, there was probably a natural, landscaped park combined with an orchard. The largest trees standing in the park today were probably planted before 1905 and are the remains of the most expensive alterations to the grounds. At the end of the 19th century, English parks with exotic trees were popular. The Gbeľany landscaping is quite regular with a central axis, dividing the park in two halves. There were undoubtedly hedges too, following the contours of the paths. Maintenance of the park ceased in 1945, when its last owners, the Majláth family, left. The terraced grounds on the left-hand side were probably created during the interwar period. In 2000, an inventory of the trees in the park was carried out and this figures might be very interesting when comparing its current state. Today’s owners have decided to make it more attractive and to keep it in its original contours. The guests can relax by walking in a calm environment of an English park. The hotel staff can prepare also a picnic basket with rug on request, so the visitors can sit themselves down on the lawn and spend there undisturbed moments like a couple or with their families and friends.